Liverpool v Hull City (26/09/2009) - Double Agents
Thursday, 24th September 2009
In advance of our League meeting on Saturday, YNWA looks at the careers of those who have represented both the Tigers and the mighty reds.

Current double agents
Nick Barmby joined the Tigers on a free transfer from Leeds United in July 2004, and has so far turned out on 139 occasions for his hometown club, netting 24 times. He had arrived at Anfield in a controversial £6m switch across Stanley Park in July 2000, bagging eight goals in 58 games, including four in our successful UEFA Cup campaign in 2001, before being moved on to Leeds United after just two years at Anfield. He converted his spot-kick to help us claim the Worthington Cup, and also secured an FA Charity Shield medal.

Former reserves keeper Tony Warner moved to the Kingston Communications Stadium from Fulham on a free transfer in July 2007. He has only made two senior appearances for his new club, having never made the first team while at Anfield, despite sitting on our bench 120 times. Mark Prudhoe is currently goalkeeping coach with Hull. He signed on loan from Stoke City in November 1994 but never made our first team, although he was an unused substitute eight times.

Crazy Horse
Emlyn Hughes played 665 times in his twelve years at Anfield after signing from Blackpool for just £65,000, netting 49 times and winning two European Cups, four League titles, two UEFA Cups, FA Cup, UEFA Super Cup and two FA Charity Shields. His greatest season was probably 1976/77 when he captained the side to within a whisker of a unique treble, as well as being voted the Football Writers' Player of the Year. Sadly, he died in November 2004, aged just 57. He had left Anfield to sign for Wolverhampton Wanderers in August 1979, and played nine League games for basement side Hull in 1982/83 after a spell as Player/Manager at Rotherham United.

Jan the man
Jan Mølby took charge at Hull City in April 2002, having resigned from Kidderminster Harriers six days previously. He was at Boothferry Park for six months before being sacked, having only won two of his seventeen games in charge.

Other recent double agents
John Welsh joined Hull on loan in August 2005, striking twice in 23 games before signing permanently for the Tigers in January 2006 in a swap deal for winger Paul Anderson, netting once in another 33 appearances after his permanent switch, before joining Tranmere Rovers on a free transfer in July. Welsh had played ten senior games for the reds, while Anderson failed to make an appearance, making it onto the first-team bench just twice, both in Champions League matches. He was sold to Nottingham Forest for £250,000 in June, having spent the last campaign on loan at the City Ground.

Jon Otsemobor joined Third Division Hull on loan in March 2003, bagging three goals in nine games for the Tigers before returning to Anfield. He played just six first-team games for us in total, moving on to Rotherham United in July 2005, and is currently playing for Norwich City. Lee Peltier made the same move four years later, turning out seven times for his temporary employers. He had made his senior debut when he started in our Carling Cup defeat of Reading in October 2006, but made just four first-team appearances in total before moving to Yeovil Town in January 2008 after a successful loan spell, although he is now with Huddersfield Town.

Also on loan
Gary Ablett joined Hull on loan in September 1986. He made five appearances for the Tigers before returning to Anfield. He signed at Anfield as a professional on his eighteenth birthday, going on to make 147 reds appearances, scoring just once - in only his second game. He helped us to two League titles, the FA Cup and FA Charity Shield before being sold to Everton by Graeme Souness for £750,000 in January 1992, with whom he won a second FA Cup. He returned to the club in the summer of 2006 to take over as Reserve Team Manager, leading them to the national title in his first season, before leaving the club in the summer after a much more difficult second campaign.

Up front
Scottish forward Dave Wright bagged 35 goals in exactly a century of reds games after signing from Sunderland in March 1930. He remained at Anfield until July 1934, when he joined Hull City for £1,000. Jimmy Walsh signed from his hometown club Stockport County in May 1922 and netted a brace on his reds bow, bagging a total of 27 goals in his 77 reds games before joining Hull in June 1928.

At the back
Left-back Ernie Blenkinsop played 71 reds games, and had won 26 England caps by the time he arrived from Sheffield Wednesday for £5,000 in March 1934. He had been with Hull prior to joining the Owls. Full-back David Murray crossed the park to sign for the reds in August 1904, playing fifteen times before moving to Hull in 1905.

Other double agents
Bert Goode signed from Chester in May 1908 and played just seven reds games before moving to Wrexham in June 1910. He later joined the Tigers from Aston Villa, netting ten goals in 28 League outings before re-joining Wrexham. Inside-forward Harry Lewis bagged twelve goals in seventy reds games after arriving at Anfield in September 1916. Hull were his only other professional club. Reuben Bennett kept goal for Hull, and later became part of the famous ‘boot room' backroom team at Anfield.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history