Liverpool v Burnley (12/09/2009) - Down Memory Lane
Thursday, 10th September 2009
YNWA takes a look back at our previous League visits from Burnley as we prepare to entertain them on Saturday for the first time since an FA Cup Third Round encounter in January 1997. Our League record at Anfield is mixed, reading nineteen wins, ten draws and eight defeats.

Off the mark
Steve Heighway netted his first reds strike to complete a 2-0 victory in October 1970 after Ron Yeats had opened the scoring just before half time. Fred Baron grabbed his first two reds goals in March 1925, as we won 3-0, with Danny Shone also on target.

Most recently
We won 2-0 in March 1976, the most recent occasion when Burnley have visited Anfield with League points at stake, although they have since returned for five cup encounters, failing to score and being beaten each time. Substitute David Fairclough struck both our goals.

Their previous visit came in September 1974, when they inflicted one of just eleven home League defeats we suffered in the whole of the 1970's as full-back Ian Brennan stunned Ray Clemence from thirty yards with his first ever goal for the club.

First and worst
We hosted Burnley for the first time in November 1894, suffering our worst defeat in L4 to the Clarets, going down 3-0. Right-back John Curran made his debut in this game.

Other reds debutants
Half-back Willie Stevenson made his reds bow in November 1962 as we lost 2-1, with Ian St. John netting our consolation. Left-back Peter ‘Max' Wall made his debut in our 3-2 win, the first of only 42 appearances for the reds. Tony Hateley bagged a brace, with Geoff Strong also on the scoresheet.

Clinching the title
We secured our third League championship on Easter Monday in April 1922 by beating title rivals Burnley 2-1 thanks to goals from Harry Chambers and Dick Forshaw. Left-half Tom Bromilow played his hundredth League game that day as we regained the title for the first time in sixteen years.

Red trebles
Gordon Hodgson scored one of his seventeen reds hat-tricks as we trounced Burnley 8-0 on Boxing Day in 1928. Jimmy Clark and Dick Edmed both bagged braces with Bill Salisbury netting the other. The score could have been far greater as Robert Done missed a penalty, we had three goals dubiously ruled out for offside, hit the crossbar three times and the posts twice each. The Clarets had beaten us 3-2 at Turf Moor the previous afternoon.

Louis Bimpson grabbed all four goals of the game in September 1953 to record our hundredth competitive hat-trick. Right-back Albert Childs played the first of just two reds games.

Penalty saves
Jack Cox, Robbie Robinson and Jack Parkinson were on the scoresheet as we won 3-0 in April 1905. Keeper Ned Doig saved a penalty in what was our final game of the season, as we claimed the Second Division championship for a third time. This is the only campaign in which we have faced each other outside the top flight.

Sam Raybould had a spot-kick saved as we lost 1-0 in April 1900, with Hartley on target for the visitors.

Sir Roger's only strike
Roger Hunt converted his only penalty for the club in November 1963 to complete a 2-0 victory, after Ian St. John had opened the scoring. Hunt only took one more spot-kick for the club, having one saved in an FA Cup Fifth Round victory at Arsenal later that season.

Clarets fight-back
We went into a two-goal lead in August 1969, thanks to a Tommy Smith penalty and Bobby Graham header. However, the visitors stunned the home crowd with three goals in quick succession to take the lead, before Tommy Smith bagged an equaliser. There was still time for either side to find a winner, but the game ended 3-3.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history