Liverpool v Burnley (12/09/2009) - Double Agents
Thursday, 10th September 2009
In advance of our first League meeting since March 1976, YNWA looks at the careers of those few who have represented both the Clarets and the reds.

Current double agent
Midfielder Brian Hall signed on in July 1968 fresh from graduating university, netting 21 times in 224 games and helping us to claim a League title, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and FA Charity Shield. His most memorable moment came when he bagged his first reds goal, the FA Cup Semi-final winner against Everton at Old Trafford in March 1971. He also scored at the same stage against Leicester City three years later. He moved on to Plymouth Argyle in July 1976, later finishing his playing career with Burnley, netting three goals in 43 League games. He returned to Anfield in 1991 to take up the post of Public Relations Manager, a position he still holds.

Loan move
Paul Stewart joined First Division Burnley on loan from the reds in February 1995. He made six appearances for the Clarets as they headed towards relegation. The England international had arrived at Anfield from Tottenham Hotspur for £2.3m in July 1992. His time with the reds was a failure, as he scored just three times in 42 appearances in nearly four seasons. He left for Sunderland on a free transfer in March 1996.

Behind the scenes
Left-half Tom Bromilow signed professional terms at Anfield in 1919, having asked for a trial straight from the army. He went on to make 375 appearances, scoring eleven times while helping us to claim two League titles in successive seasons in the 1920's, as well as earning full international honours with England. He later moved into management, taking over at Turf Moor in October 1932. Although he was unable to return them to the top flight, he led them to the FA Cup Semi-final in 1934, moving on to Crystal Palace in July 1936.

Keeper Tony Waiters won five senior England caps in 1964 while playing for Blackpool. He left there in 1967 to take on a coaching role with the reds, but returned to playing with Burnley in 1970, playing 38 League games before becoming the Manager of Plymouth Argyle in 1972. Mark Leather has worked as a physiotherapist with both clubs.

Scottish double agents of yore
Forward Malcolm McVean scored our first ever League goal, and bagged 41 in total in 130 reds games, helping us to the Lancashire League title and two Second Division championships. He moved on to Burnley in March 1897, but only played four times before returning north to sign for Dundee.

Inside-right Jimmy Ross signed from the ‘invincible' Preston North End for a club record £75 in 1894, helping us to the Second Division title, scoring 39 times in 85 reds games and captaining ths side before joining Burnley alongside McVean in March 1897. He could not prevent the Turf Moor outfit from being relegated, though he struck 23 times in 27 League outings as they won the Second Division title the following season. However, he moved on to Manchester City during 1898/99. The ‘little demon' was a key player in the formation of the Association Footballers' Union in February 1898, founded in protest at wage restrictions imposed by the FA, and sadly died aged just 36 in June 1902 having succumbed to an acute skin disease.

Reserves moving on
Defender Alan Harper never made our first team and moved across the park in June 1983, going on to appear 178 times for the Toffees, including the 1984 League Cup Final and replay. He joined Burnley on a free transfer from Luton Town in August 1994. He played 42 times in his two seasons at Turf Moor, as they were relegated into the Second Division.

Winger Brian Mooney signed from Home Farm in 1983 but only ever played one senior reds game, as a substitute for Jim Beglin in a League Cup win at Fulham in October 1986, later enjoying greater fortune at Preston North End. He joined the Clarets on loan from Sunderland during 1992/93, although he was apparently dead set against the move. He played six League games without scoring before returning to the north east.

Wartime guests
Keeper Alf Hobson signed from Shildon Colliery in April 1936 and made 28 reds appearances either side of the Second World War, as well as 172 wartime games. Scottish forward Bill Kinghorn signed from Queens Park in April 1938 and netted four times in nineteen reds games. Both of these players guested for the Clarets during the war.

Other double agents
Inside-forward Edgar Chadwick had won the League with Everton in 1891, and joined Burnley aged thirty. He top scored with ten goals as they were relegated to the Second Division, before moving on to Southampton in the Southern League. As Burnley still held his Football League registration, the reds had to pay the Clarets £35 in May 1902. However, he only managed 45 reds appearances, netting seven times, and later had a successful career as a coach in Germany and the Netherlands, including guiding the Dutch national side to bronze medals in the 1908 and 1912 Olympics.

Jim Furnell signed from Burnley for £18,000 in February 1962, for whom he had played just two League games. He took over in goal during that promotion season, but broke his finger early the following season, losing his place to Tommy Lawrence. He made just 28 first-team appearances before moving to Highbury in November 1963, and is fondly remembered as Plymouth Argyle's greatest ever custodian.

Centre-forward Les Shannon signed professional terms at Anfield in November 1944, having to wait until April 1948 to make his reds bow. He bagged just one goal in eleven games, as well as six in fifteen wartime appearances, moving on to Burnley in November 1949. He came into his own as a deep-lying inside-forward and wing-half at Turf Moor, netting a total of 44 goals in 281 games before retiring in September 1958. His son Dave is now coaching the Under-16's at the Academy.

Burnley-born left-winger Peter Kippax struck six times in 32 League games as an amateur for his hometown club before joining the reds in 1948. He made one League outing, against Birmingham City in March 1949, having already netted in a Wartime League fixture for the reds against Bolton Wanderers in August 1945, before moving on to Yorkshire Amateurs in 1950. Forward Neil Edwards was an apprentice at Anfield, and only played one League game for Burnley, whom he joined from the reds in 1985.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history