Wrexham v Liverpool (07/07/2007) - Double Agents
Thursday, 5th July 2007
In advance of our opening pre-season fixture at Wrexham on Saturday, YNWA looks at the careers of some of those who have represented both the Robins and the reds.

70's legends
Joey Jones made exactly a century of reds appearances, winning a European Cup and two League title medals in his time at Anfield. He had signed from Wrexham for £110,000 in July 1975 after helping them to claim the Welsh Cup that year, returning there for £210,000 in September 1978, still a club record fee paid. He later had a third spell in the late 1980's, and was also Caretaker Manager at the Racecourse Ground for a brief period six years ago. Joey played a total of 376 League games for them, and is still a Coach there.

Jimmy Case played just four games for Wrexham in 1993, one of his many post-Anfield clubs. He had bagged 46 goals in 269 reds games, helping us to claim a massive trophy haul of three European Cups, four League titles, UEFA Cup, UEFA Super Cup and League Cup. Alan Kennedy played sixteen League games for Wrexham at the start of the 1990's, as his career came to a close. He is best remembered for his winning strikes in two European Cup Finals, but also won five League titles and four League Cups, making 359 appearances in his seven years at Anfield.

Up front
Ian Rush joined Wrexham as Player/Coach in August 1998, having left Newcastle United earlier that year. He failed to score in 24 appearances for them, although he did get on target in a reserve game at Lincoln! This was a disappointing end to a glittering career, in which he had helped us to five League titles, the European Cup, three FA Cups and five League Cups while scoring a club record 346 strikes in 660 games. Jon Newby moved to Wrexham on a free transfer from Bury last August, but failed to net in thirteen outings, and moved on to Southport in January.

Lee Jones signed as a professional for Wrexham in July 1991, moving to Anfield for £300,000 the following March. He only played four senior reds games before joining Tranmere Rovers in May 1997, after a loan spell back at the Racecourse Ground. He later returned to Wrexham in March 2002 for a third spell. He netted a total of forty goals in 131 games for the Robins. Phil Boersma bagged thirty goals in 121 reds games in his seven years at Anfield, but usually found himself behind Steve Heighway, Kevin Keegan and John Toshack in the pecking order. However, he did win both League title and UEFA Cup winners' medals in 1973. He spent time on loan at Wrexham while struggling to make our first-team, playing seven League games for them.

Custodial double agents
Mike Hooper joined basement side Wrexham from Bristol City in July 1985 on a free transfer, having previously had a loan spell there. He moved to Anfield less than four months later, for £40,000, after a total of 38 appearances for the Welsh side. He spent most of his reds career as understudy to first Bruce Grobbelaar and then David James, although he managed to make 73 first-team appearances. Welsh international keeper George Poland never made a senior reds appearance, arriving from Wrexham during the Second World War. He played four times for Wales while on our books, to add to two previous appearances while at the Racecourse Ground.

Out on the left
Outside-left Gordon Gunson was an ever-present in 1931/32, supplying the crosses for Gordon Hodgson amongst others. He bagged himself 26 goals in 87 reds games before moving to Swindon Town in June 1934. He also enjoyed two spells with Wrexham. Pre-First World War outside-left Harold Uren grabbed just two goals in 45 reds games, ending his career at the Racecourse Ground, after a spell across the park. Inside-left Bert Goode arrived at Anfield from Chester in May 1907, scoring once in seven outings before joining Wrexham in the summer of 1910. He eventually had four spells at the Racecourse Ground, notching 136 times in 176 games, including playing in their first ever Football League match in August 1921.

In the war
1930's England international right-back Tom Cooper played 160 times for the reds, as well as becoming club captain, and then guested with Wrexham during the Second World War. Left-back Jack Tennant joined us from Torquay United in May 1933 and appeared 42 times for the reds, moving to Bolton Wanderers in January 1936. He also appeared for the Welsh side as a wartime guest.

Also on loan
Young Scottish reserves forward Robbie Foy spent the first half of the 2005/06 season on loan with Wrexham, bagging three goals in twenty games as he helped them towards League Two safety. Irish winger Brian Mooney struck twice in eight League games while at the Racecourse Ground during 1985/86, before returning to Anfield where he failed to break through to the first team, moving on to Preston North End in 1987.

Other double agents
Left-back Peter Wall signed from the Robins after just 22 League appearances in a deal that cost us £26,000 plus Stuart Mason in October 1966. However, Max became a casualty of Bill Shankly's famous clear-out following our FA Cup defeat at Watford in February 1970, moving to Crystal Palace three months later after just 42 reds games. Scouse midfielder John McLaughlin could only make 55 reds appearances due to the tough competition in the early 1970's. He later joined Wrexham after a spell with Barrow. Arthur Berry, the son of Edwin Berry who was reds Chairman in the 1900's, only played four reds games and moved to Wrexham in 1913 after his second spell at Anfield. He did, however, win two Olympic gold medals for football!

Wrexham-born midfielder Danny Williams left the reds reserves for the Racecourse Ground in March 1999 on a free transfer. He returned for a second spell in May 2004, after periods at Kidderminster Harriers and Bristol Rovers, and has so far played a total of 169 times. Wing-half Ted Savage struck just twice in 105 reds games after arriving from his hometown club Lincoln City in May 1931. He ended his career at the Racecourse Ground. Joseph Keetley signed from Accrington Stanley in November 1923 and struck twice in nine reds games and later spent time in north Wales. Barry Jones left Anfield to join Wrexham in September 1992 after just one reds game, going on to feature in 245 matches for the Robins.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history