Liverpool v Wigan Athletic (02/01/2008) - Down Memory Lane
Monday, 31st December 2007
YNWA looks back at our previous meetings with Wigan Athletic as we prepare for only our third ever visit from the Latics in any competition on Wednesday.

Earlier this season
Yossi Benayoun bagged the only goal of the game with a quarter of an hour remaining as we reached 400 away Premiership points.

Last season
John Arne Riise played his 300th reds game with Pepe Reina reaching his Liverpool century as we won 2-0 at Anfield in April of this year, as the Latics continued to flirt with relegation. Dirk Kuyt bagged a brace that day.

Craig Bellamy bagged a brace at the JJB Stadium in December 2006 as we won away from home in the League for the first time last season, at the eighth time of asking. Our other goals in a 4-0 victory came from Dirk Kuyt and a Lee McCulloch own goal, with all the goals coming in the opening period.

First time in the League
Our first ever League meeting was at Anfield in December 2005, when Peter Crouch scored his first two reds goals after eighteen goalless outings as we won 3-0, although his first strike was initially wrongly credited as an own goal. Luis García grabbed the third.

We paid our first visit to the JJB Stadium in February 2006, when their record attendance of 25,023 saw Sami Hyypiä net the only goal.

In the League Cup
The only times we had ever faced the Latics in any competition before their recent ascent to the Premiership came in the Second Round of the League Cup back in 1989, when Wigan were residing near the bottom of the old Third Division. The Kop was recorded for use on "Kenny D, The Pride Of Liverpool" by the Liverpool FC 1989 Squad featuring Peter Howitt, as we triumphed 5-2 in the first leg in mid-September. Glen Hysén headed us in front inside five minutes before a thunderous Bryan Griffiths free-kick levelled the match. David Thompson then sensationally put the visitors ahead on 55 minutes before Ian Rush grabbed a brace, with Peter Beardsley and John Barnes also netting, although he had a penalty saved by keeper Nigel Adkins. This was Digger's hundredth reds game.

Two weeks later, Steve Staunton bagged a hat-trick as we won the second leg 3-0 in the away leg that was switched to Anfield. He had come on in the second half as an emergency forward substitute after Ian Rush had limped off.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history