Chelsea v Liverpool (19/12/2007) - Down Memory Lane
Monday, 17th December 2007
YNWA takes a look back at our past meetings with Chelsea in domestic cup competitions, as we prepare to face them in a Carling Cup Quarter-final at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

Cardiff despair
We were beaten in the Final of the Carling Cup in Cardiff in February 2005, 3-2 after extra time. John Arne Riise struck in the first minute, and we led until a Steven Gerrard own goal rescued Chelsea with eleven minutes left. Didier Drogba and Mateja Kezman netted before Antonio Núñez bagged a consolation, his only reds goal.

Other League Cup meetings
We beat won 2-1 at Anfield in November 2000 in the Third Round of the Worthington Cup, our hundredth League Cup win. Pegguy Arphexad made his first-team debut in a game which saw Emile Heskey sent off late on. Danny Murphy opened the scoring before Gianfranco Zola equalised with a header. Robbie Fowler got the extra-time winner against our only top-flight opposition in that season's victorious campaign. This was his first senior goal in ten months.

Our only other League Cup meeting came back in August 1977, en route to our first ever Final appearance. Kenny Dalglish and Jimmy Case struck as we won 2-0 in the Second Round at Anfield.

In the FA Cup
We have won four of our nine meetings in the FA Cup, including the most important. We met in the Semi-final at Villa Park in March 1965, with Peter Thompson on target and Willie Stevenson converting a penalty as we won 2-0. Our other Semi-final encounter came in April 2006, when John Arne Riise's free-kick opened the scoring at Old Trafford before Luis García extended our lead early in the second half with a sublime volley. Didier Drogba's header ensured a nervous last twenty minutes, but Joe Cole blazed over with the Blues' only real chance of note as we hung on to reach our thirteenth FA Cup Final.

We also met the Blues on our way to Wembley glory in January 1986. Ian Rush and Mark Lawrenson were on the scoresheet within two minutes either side of half-time in our 2-1 Fourth Round win at Stamford Bridge. Our other victory came in the Third Round back in January 1962, when Ian St. John struck twice as we won 4-3 at Anfield, with Roger Hunt and Alan A'Court also netting.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history