Liverpool v Manchester United (16/12/2007) - Double Agents
Thursday, 13th December 2007
In advance of our League meeting at Anfield on Sunday lunchtime, YNWA looks back at the careers of some of those who have represented both sides.

An Old Trafford legend
Sir Matt Busby came to Anfield from Manchester City in an £8,000 deal in March 1936. The right-half captained the reds, and made 125 first-team appearances before the war intervened. He was offered the top job at Old Trafford at the end of hostilities, leading them to five League titles and two FA Cups, as well as the European Cup in 1968. Former team-mate Bob Paisley said: "It was only right that United, under Matt, should be the first English club to win the trophy."

1990's double agents
Peter Beardsley spent a season with United without making much impact, only making one appearance in the League Cup. He arrived at Anfield from Newcastle United for £1.9m in July 1987, and struck 59 times in 175 reds games, helping us to claim two League titles and the FA Cup before being sold across the park for £1m in August 1991.

Paul Ince had his most successful spell with United, helping them to two League titles, two FA Cups, the European Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Super Cup and a League Cup. He joined the reds in July 1997 in a £4m deal from Internazionale, going on to make 81 appearances, and scoring seventeen goals. However, he was past his best, and became an unruly influence in the dressing room. Gérard Houllier sold him to Middlesbrough for £1m in July 1999.

Striking stars
Centre-forward Phil Chisnall is the most recent player to make the direct switch between the two clubs, when Bill Shankly signed him for £25,000 in April 1964, after ten goals in 47 United games. He never established himself, making just nine appearances, leaving for Southend United in August 1967. Outside-right Jackie Sheldon arrived from Old Trafford in November 1913, remaining at Anfield until he retired nine years later, after netting twenty times in 147 reds games.

Outside-left Fred Hopkin arrived from Old Trafford for £2,800 in May 1921 and helped us to consecutive League titles. However, he was best known as the man whose goal set the Anfield Road end on fire! He was a rare goalscorer, and when he finally struck against Bolton Wanderers in March 1923, there were great celebrations. Seconds later, flames rose from the stand, which had to be evacuated. He scored a total of twelve goals in 360 reds games.

Scottish double agents
Scottish international forward Tom Miller struck 56 times in 146 reds games, appearing in our first FA Cup Final in 1914. He was suspended for his part in the 1915 match-fixing scandal involving the reds and Manchester United, and then moved to Old Trafford in September 1920. Another Scottish international, half-back Neil McBain, played for both United and Everton before arriving at Anfield in March 1928. He only stayed eight months, playing twelve times. Centre-forward Tom Reid signed from Clydebank for £1,000 in April 1926 and struck thirty times in just 55 reds games, but was sold to Manchester United in February 1929. Inside-right George Livingstone was only at Anfield for one season, making 32 appearances in 1902/03, and ended his career with United.

Ted MacDougall never made our first team, appearing for our reserves in 1966/67. He enjoyed his greatest success with Norwich City in the mid-1970's, for whom he banged in 66 goals in 138 games. He had previously endured an unsuccessful spell with United. Scottish left-half Jimmy McInnes made 51 reds appearances after signing from Third Lanark in March 1938 for £5,500. He guested with United during the war, and later became Club Secretary at Anfield. However, he sadly hanged himself in the turnstile area of the Kop, just four days after we had claimed the FA Cup for the first time.

Other double agents
Michael Nardiello is a young striker who began with Torquay United and moved to Anfield from Manchester United in the summer of 2005, joining West Bromwich Albion in July 2006 after being an unused sub in both legs of our victorious FA Youth Cup Final. He had been joined at Anfield by another youngster from Old Trafford, Ramon Calliste. The Welsh Under-21's international was released by United at the end of the 2004/05 season but moved on from the reds to Scunthorpe United in July 2006.

Keeper Stephen Pears was second choice behind Gary Bailey at United, and later sat on our bench five times as understudy to David James after signing from Middlesbrough on a free transfer in August 1995, without getting onto the pitch. Salford-born full-back Tom McNulty arrived from Old Trafford, where he had helped them to the League title in 1952, for £7,000 in February 1954, stepping down a division in the process. He went on to play 36 times for the reds before being offloaded to Hyde United four years later. Utility man Tom Chorlton left Anfield for Old Trafford in 1912, after notching eight times in 121 reds games. Right-half Ted Savage left Anfield for Old Trafford in December 1937 after 105 reds games following his arrival from Lincoln City in May 1931. He made his debut as a forward, netting twice in a 4-0 defeat of Grimsby Town at Anfield that September.

Centre-half Allenby Chilton started his career with Seaham Colliery before joining the reds as an amateur in the summer of 1938. He joined Manchester United in November of that year without having played a senior reds game, going on to help them to the 1948 FA Cup and League title four years later. He was made club captain during the 1953/54 season but left the club in March 1955 after 389 United games to become player-manager for Grimsby Town.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history