Liverpool v FBK Kaunas (02/08/2005) - Down Memory Lane
Monday, 1st August 2005
As we prepare to entertain Lithuanian opposition for the first time in the club’s history, YNWA takes a look back at our previous qualifying campaigns for Europe’s top trophy.

Hammering Haka...
We played our first ever game in the new format of the UEFA Champions League in August 2001, registering our record equal away win in Europe as we thumped Finnish side Haka 5-0 at the Olympiastadion in Helsinki, thanks to a hat-trick from Michael Owen, our first away from home in Europe, and strikes from Emile Heskey and Sami Hyypiä.

A fortnight later, we won the return 4-1 at Anfield. Robbie Fowler scored on his return to the first team after his spat with Phil Thompson, with our other goals coming from Jamie Redknapp, Emile Heskey and an own goal from ex-Manchester United player Mark Wilson

First time in Europe...
Our first ever games in Europe were a two-legged European Cup preliminary round against the Icelandic champions Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur. The first leg took place in Reykjavik in August 1964, with the reds winning 5-0, still our record equal away win in continental competition. Gordon Wallace and Roger Hunt both netted braces and Phil Chisnall also on target.

We hosted the second leg a month later, with Bobby Graham scoring on his reds debut in our 6-1 win. Ian St. John bagged a brace with Gerry Byrne, Roger Hunt and Willie Stevenson scoring the other goals.

An Austrian waltz...
We travelled to the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadion last August to face Austrian champions Grazer AK in the third qualifying round for the Champions League. Michael Owen remained on the bench as his transfer to Real Madrid loomed, while Djibril Cissé, Josemi, Darren Potter and Stephen Warnock all made their senior debuts, in Rafael Benítez’s first competitive game. This was our hundredth game in the European Cup, and Steven Gerrard bagged both goals in our 2-0victory, also having a third cruelly chalked off for offside.

A fortnight later we suffered the ignominy of losing a home second leg in Europe having won the first game away from home for the first time in our history. Mario Tokic struck for the Austrian side as we lost 1-0 on the night, not giving fans much confidence that we could go all the way in the competition.

SteG sees off TNS...
We have reached this stage of the Champions League thanks to a 6-0 aggregate win over the Welsh premier League champions Total Network Solutions. Steven Gerrard struck his first senior hat-trick as we won 3-0 in front of a sold-out Anfield in the first leg, with keeper Pepe Reina and Boudewijn Zenden both making their senior reds bows. In the return a week later at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground, we again won 3-0. Djibril Cissé netted in the first half, with Gerrard adding a late brace after coming on as a substitute after Dietmar Hamann had seen his spot-kick saved by the impressive TNS keeper Ged Doherty.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history